Holiday is just around the corner, nothing could be easier than starting to bake batches of your favorite holiday cookies. Try these star anise cookies, It has delicate and crumbly texture with a light dusting of spicy, sweet cinnamon sugar.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup lard
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. Star Anise
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400°. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine ¼ cup of the sugar with cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Put lard and the remaining ½ cup of sugar into the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle and beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add star anise seeds and egg and beat, stopping mixer once or twice to scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula, until well mixed, about 1 minute.
- Reduce speed to low, then gradually add flour mixture, scraping sides of bowl as needed, and beat until dough begins to gather into a ball and comes cleanly away from sides of bowl, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and divide in half, then shape each half into a smooth ball.
- Cover with a clean dish towel and set aside to let rest for 15–20 minutes.
- Roll out half of the dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about ⅛”. Cut into desired shapes with a cookie cutter and arrange 1″ apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack and sprinkle with reserved cinnamon–sugar mixture while still warm.